These mildly spiced biscuits can be made in advance, and kept in the fridge up to a week. Just slice them up and bake when you want! Perfect for a festive nibble or when visitors call in.
Makes approx 30 Cookies | Prep 15min plus chilling | Bake 15-18min
- 250g butter, softened
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to dusting
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- In a bowl, cream together the butter, orange zest and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour, icing sugar, cornflour and spices, then mix until just blended.
- Tip the dough onto a large sheet of cling film, and shape into a 5cm wide cylinder, rolling it up well into the cling film. Chill in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Heat the oven to 190°C. Slice the cookie dough to 1cm-thick and place on baking sheets lined with baking paper. Space them 1-2 cm apart, lightly dusting with icing sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and allow to cool.
You can freeze the cookie roll for up to 1 month ahead and defrost overnight. You can store the baked cookies for up to 2 days in an airtight container.