Makes 12 large muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran (not boxed cereal flakes; just plain bran)
- 1/2 cup boiling hot water
- 1/2 cup raisins (soaked in water 5 minutes to soften; drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup grated fresh carrot
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. In a large mixing bowl thoroughly stir the water into the bran; stir in raisins, nuts, and carrots; let stand at least 5 minutes.
3. Place the wet ingredients in a blender and blend at high speed 4 minutes until smooth.
4. Add the remaining ingredients into the blender and blend in briefly, but thoroughly.
5. Pour the batter into softened bran mixture; blend all thoroughly, but briefly with rubber spatula or mixing spoon. Do not over mix!
6. Fill muffin cups evenly, about 3/4 full; bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes until muffins can easily be removed from the pan with a gentle tug on one side of muffins.