20m prep | 15m baking | makes 30
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup honey, plus extra 1 tbsp
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 2 small ripe bananas, well mashed
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 160g spreadable cream cheese
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Chopped pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Cream butter, first measure of honey and the vanilla in a bowl. Add the egg and beat to combine. Beat in the banana (the mixture will appear slightly curdled, but that is okay).
2. Sift together flour and nutmeg then fold into mixture in batches, alternating with the milk, until smooth and combined. Spoon the mixture onto greased trays, allowing room for spreading. Bake for 15 minutes or until springy to touch and light golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
3. Mix the cream cheese and extra honey in a small bowl until combined. Spread over the cooled cookies. Sprinkle with coconut and pistachios, if you like.
Store, without the topping, for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Keep the topping, covered, in the fridge and add just before serving. Alternatively you could freeze the biscuits (without the topping).