We are very pleased to be giving away two copies of Pat Backley’s book ‘Seventy Years’ Worth of Travel’ to our GrownUps members.
All you need to do to enter the draw is be a GrownUps member, make sure you’re signed up to our newsletter and fill in your details near the bottom of the page!
Not a member? Join now
About Seventy Years’ Worth of Travel
This page-turning travel memoir follows New Zealander Pat Backley’s travels around the globe over the last 70 years, showing that the world has changed so much during this time!
‘I can still remember the scent of the jasmine as we walked along the dusty road. I was hooked. Travel was my new passion.’
‘There were lots of handsome smiling men in white shirts and sulus (wrap- around skirts) that showed off their dark muscular legs. Rugby playing legs, I later discovered.’
‘This was my first ever trip to Australia, so it was exciting to be met at the airport by a toy koala that played Waltzing Matilda.’
‘Then he mentioned the crocodiles and the romantic moment passed.’
About the author:
Pat Backley is an English woman who emigrated to New Zealand at the age of 59.
Her first book Daisy, a historical family saga novel, was written and published during lockdown in 2020.
Since then, she has also published her memoirs From There to Here, With an Awful Lot in Between and has co- authored a best-selling coffee table book The Warrior Women Project: A Sisterhood of Immigrant Women.
She published The Second Daisy, the sequel to Daisy in December 2021. This is a continuation of the family saga which began in 1887, taking it almost to the new millennium in 2000.
‘The First Daisy had a hard start in life. She was born in the slums of London in 1887, to a poor unmarried mother. A hundred years later we meet her namesake, the Second Daisy. Her life is much easier, but in many ways the two DAISYS are very similar – bright, sunny and loving. The only difference is that the Second Daisy is Black.’
Seventy Years’ Worth of Travel is her travel memoir, and releasing soon is a novel, Valentine George.
‘Having found my perfect career at the age of 70, I now intend to write until I die!’ says Pat cheerfully.
Pat lives in Auckland. More info at www.patbackley.com
You must be logged in to enter this competition.
Terms and conditions
- You must be a GrownUps member and receive our newsletter to be eligible to win.
- Competition closes on the 10th May 2022, winners will be notified via email by 12th May 2022.
- As a competition winner, you must confirm you have received our email notifying you of the win within three days. If we have not heard from you in three days the prize will be redrawn, and your prize will be forfeit.
- Winners are drawn at random by the GrownUps administration team.
- GrownUps employees and family are not eligible to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you approve for GrownUps to use your name on social media as winner of the competition.
- One entry per person.
- Prize in non transferrable.
- You must reside in New Zealand – the prize will only be posted within New Zealand.
- You must be over 50 years of age to enter, check your details are correct in your membership dashboard.