Quick and easy to prepare, you can make the rice ahead of time and serve the dish hot or cold. You could swap out the beans for your preferred form of protein (like chicken or salmon) and use whatever vege’s you like (or have left over). Such a versatile dish with endless combinations of flavours!
For the black beans
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 400g cans of black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the rice bowl
- 1 ½ cups rice
- 250g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 cup cooked corn (or canned)
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- Coriander to serve
For the Lime Coriander Sauce
- ⅓ cup finely chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (1 lime)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- pinch of sugar
- ¾ teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Cook the rice using your preferred method.
- To cook the black beans, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant but not browned. Add the beans, cumin, salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes until heated through.
- To make the sauce, mix all ingredients together
- To serve, place rice in a bowl and top with black beans and vegetables. Drizzle with the sauce and top with torn coriander.