Recipe from the Fish + Game Cookbook by Angelo Georgalli, RRP $59.99, https://beatnikpublishing.com
Food photography by Sally Greer, other images by Richard Cosgrove for Fish & Game New Zealand
Bring out the flavour of your freshly caught trout with this super easy, super fast, super tasty dish! Filling but light, it’s a winner for the whole family.
- 14 new potatoes, halved
- 3 pinches of salt
- 2 trout fillets
- 75g butter
- 5 anchovies
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp capers
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dill, chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 Tbsp white wine
- 3 Tbsp cream
- 2 pinches of gourmet cracked
- To serve
- Cracked peppercorns
- Fresh parsley
1. In a saucepan, bring enough water to the boil to cover the potatoes, and boil until they are cooked through.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, in a hot frying pan, pan-sear the 2 trout fillets skin-side down in butter for about 3-5 minutes, adding the anchovies, garlic, capers, parsley and dill. Once the skin is crispy, squeeze lemon juice over the fish, flip it over and cook the other side for about 1 minute with the white wine. Remove the fish from the frying pan and set aside.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and add them to the hot frying pan. Pan-sear, tossing them through the herb infused anchovy butter. Add the cream and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
4. Serve with cracked peppercorns and parsley over the fish and creamy potatoes.
TIP: Place the trout skin-side down in the hot pan to create a lovely crispy skin.