We are very pleased to be giving away three copies of Susan Brocker’s book ‘Pelorus Jack, the Dolphin Guide’ to our GrownUps members.
All you need to do to enter the draw is be a GrownUps member, make sure you’re signed up to our newsletter and fill in your details near the bottom of the page!
Not a member? Join now
About Pelorus Jack, the Dolphin Guide
A true New Zealand story of a dolphin that captured the hearts of passengers in the 1880s.
This is the heart-warming tale of Pelorus Jack, a rare white Risso’s dolphin who delighted passengers over 100 years agoas he guided steamships through the rough waters of French Pass into the calm waters of the Marlborough Sounds.
Passengers from around the world, even royalty, came to see him and it is believed he became the first sea creature to be protected by law in any country. A life-size bronze statue of Pelorus Jack stands at Collinet Point, overlooking French Pass.
Susan Brocker brings true animal tales to life for children, with Raymond McGrath’s quirky illustrations offering something unique to this picture book story. A great addition to historical fiction for children and perfect for the child who loves animals. For fans of Friday the Rebel Dog, Bess the Brave War Horse and Mrs Chippy the Cat by the same talented duo.
Susan Brocker has written over 50 fiction and non-fiction books for older children and teens, which have been published worldwide. She has a history degree and a love of social history that is reflected in her books. Susan also has a close affinity with animals and lives with her husband and many pets in a lovely old villa on a small farm near Tauranga. Pelorus Jack, the Dolphin Guide is the latest in a picture book series based on true NZ animal tales. Other titles with Scholastic are the middle grade fiction stories Kiwis at War: 1914 Riding into War and ICE.
Raymond McGrath is an award-winning animation director, illustrator, designer and writer who has been working in children’s television and advertising for around 20 years. As well as illustrating books for other authors, such as the award-winning The Little Ghost Who Lost Her Boo! and Susan Brocker’s true-life animal stories, he has written and illustrated several books himself, including That’s What Dragons Do! Raymond lives in rural Auckland with his wife and four children, some cats and a Schnauzer.
You must be logged in to enter this competition.
Terms and conditions
- You must be a GrownUps member and receive our newsletter to be eligible to win.
- Competition closes on the 9th August 2022, winners will be notified via email by 11th August 2022.
- As a competition winner, you must confirm you have received our email notifying you of the win within three days. If we have not heard from you in three days the prize will be redrawn, and your prize will be forfeit.
- Winners are drawn at random by the GrownUps administration team.
- GrownUps employees and family are not eligible to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you approve for GrownUps to use your name on social media as winner of the competition.
- One entry per person.
- Prize is non transferrable.
- You must reside in New Zealand – the prize will only be posted within New Zealand.
- You must be over 50 years of age to enter, check your details are correct in your membership dashboard.